Toby Hector
Daisy Big Boy

New Logo with telephone number
We hope you find this site interesting and informative

Toby Hector
Daisy Big Boy

C-L-A-W-S Ziva

Ziva   Ziva

Two "ferals” were placed at a stable to help control the rodent population.

They hadn’t been there long when the manager rang C.L.A.W.S. to say that one of them had dragged itself in that morning with half its tail missing.   It was in a very bad way but had disappeared before he could catch it.  

Beverley loaded a trap into the van and went to the stable to set it.   Then all we could do was wait.

Her phone rang early next morning – it was the manager to say that the cat was in the trap.   Quickly ringing the vet to alert him that she was bringing in an emergency she hastened to the stable.

An initial examination showed that the tail had been caught in something and been torn away to free the cat.   It would have to be amputated.   She (for it was a tiny little female tabby weighing less than 2 kilos) was given pain relief and antibiotics and the operation was set for the next day.   The concern was that such an injury could have damaged the bladder and / or the bowel.    

The operation went well and she was kept in hospital under observation.   Fortunately both her bladder and bowel were unharmed.  

The manager of the stables agreed that she should stay with C.L.A.W.S. so she was released into C.L.A.W.S. care.

She was kept in a recovery cage in the cottage to restrict her movements and to prevent any damage.   It soon became obvious that she was not a feral but yet another abandoned domestic.   She began to settle down and peered at us from the depths of her cosy igloo, wary but not frightened.

We called her ZIVA.

After a week or so she was transferred to a pen in the garden.   Soon she was taking an interest in the comings and goings and began to relax.    She was taken back for a check-up and had put on weight (now over 2 kilos).

In September 2019 with the deaths of Daisy and Dilly there were vacancies in the Divas’ pen (somehow we can’t break the habit of calling it that and in any event feel it is a fitting way to remember them.) 

On a bright sunny morning we took Ziva, along with Tula, from the pen of six and released them into their new enclosure. As always there was a volunteer on hand in case of trouble but it was a peaceful change over. 

Minstrel viewed the new comers with a certain degree of reserve and Tina, of course, was in her usual spot – on the roof of the cat cabin ! 

Tula and Ziva both opted to take refuge on the roof of the other cabin. We were greatly amused to see dear Ziva, who is a tiny little tot, on her back in the guttering – she was a perfect fit !    It gave her a bird’s eye view of the birds !!!! 

It wasn’t long before she ventured down– her favourite "hobby” is chasing, and catching, creepy crawlies. 

She is doing well.  She has made friends with Tula and allows us to stroke her very gently.    She enjoys playing with her toys, often rolling over on her back and kicking her legs in the air.

She has gained in confidence and comes running up to the fence to say Hello.    Some days she still hides away but the rustle of the treats’ bag soon brings her out again.

She will never adjust to a normal domestic environment so she will stay with C.L.A.W.S.

This is another instance of a cat placed as a feral that should not have been.

Coming Events


We were contacted by a member of staff at Cliveden when she noticed that a cat she and a colleague had been looking after came for breakfast one morning with an injured tail.   She thought it might have been attacked by a fox.

It had been resident there for several years and had been named Pussikins. When Beverley arrived with a trap the cat was there and she was able to look at the wound.    It was not a bite but a long wound which might have been made when the cat got caught on a thorny bush or entangled on barbed wire.

She set the trap and suggested they back off in the hope the cat would enter the trap.   In the meantime one of its "carers” leaned over grasped the cat in both hands and put it in the basket.   It was taken to Alma Vets for treatment.  It was a female and was micro-chipped so the first thing to do, apart from administer pain relief and antibiotics, was to contact the microchip company so her owners could be traced.  Her owner had died about 4 years ago and the contact telephone number was her daughter’s who, though unable to offer her a home, has been following her progress with keen interest.

The cat was called Bo Bo and disappeared within a few weeks of going to live with her mum who resided in Taplow so she hadn’t strayed far.  A waiver of ownership form was despatched for completion by the daughter which enabled treatment to commence.

She was sedated so a thorough examination could be carried out.   Her tail was badly damaged and had to be amputated.   Her pelvis had been fractured (probably as a result of an RTA) It had been left to self-heal as a result of which it was now crooked so that her hips were twisted (causing her to limp)   Her left back paw was causing her severe pain so it was X-rayed.  There was no physical injury  :  the vet thought it might be a touch a sciatica so she will be on pain relief for the foreseeable future.
She was discharged into C.L.A.W.S. care with the full support of the 2 staff who had cared for her at Cliveden.    One of them has already been to visit her.

We called her NANCY (because of the Aster connection with Cliveden).  Since taking up residence she has developed quite a personality, growling menacingly when one of theo ther cats comes to see her.    It is a case of her growl is worse than her bite !!  She comes out of her bed to greet you and sometimes sits beside you.   She has started to play with her toys – a mouse suspended on a piece of string is one of her favourites.   She is constantly "humming” to herself – it’s as if she is going up and down the scales.

She needs lots more time and intensive care so she will stay with C.L.A.W.S at least for the winter so she can regain her health and strength.